Tuesday, February 4, 2014

My House: A Beautiful Mess?

Sometimes I get in a funk about the state of my home.  The crumbs, the dust, the spills, the toys.  It's all just so overwhelming.  Even if I do manage a good cleaning now and then, the fact that I have a one year old and a 3.5 year old means we have so. much. plastic. stuff. ALL over our house.

(On a side note, I stay at home full-time with my little rugrats.  You could say I am their daycare.  I have come to accept that we truly do need toys, art supplies, books, etc. all over the house because we are often home all day (especially in winter).  So it really irks me when someone who is not a SAHM/D judges me for having "SO many toys."  Hey, I can judge me, but no one else needs to, ok?  Rant over).

Below are some photos I snapped while the kids were napping (speaking of naps, they are God's gift to stay-at-home-parents everywhere, right?).

The living room was relatively clean at 6 a.m. this morning, but this is what it looked within about an hour of the kids waking up.


Looking at it now, I think, maybe it's not even that disastrous, but here's the thing:  When we moved here, I was sure the living room would be the one kid-free zone in the house.  But it isn't.  The Children have come to dominate it too, leaving behind more than just fluorescent orange Goldfish crumbs.


And here's what our lovely, sunny tiled foyer looks like because my husband was convinced the children would crack their heads open on the tiled floor; he [easily] convinced me this was a serious possibility, and one morning I woke up, and my husband had done this:

It's been this way for about a year.  We don't see it going anywhere in the near future.


In fact, the baby-proofing never ends in our house.  [I am in AWE of families with young kids who barely babyproof].  Virtually every corner in our house has a soft bumper on it.  Every drawer and cabinet with anything even slightly toxic boasts safety latches.  Choking hazards are stored away high above reach until my one year old stops putting everything in her mouth.  Stair gates?  Check.  That no-slip rubber bathtub thingy?  'Course.  Doorknob locks?  Seriously?  Yes!  We have it covered.

That coffee table?  We bought it at a nice home store before having children.  
It will never be the same again.


The aforementioned stairgate (yes, there's one at the top of the stairs too). 
Credit where credit is due:  
Check out the clever rig that Frantic Mama Hubby set up so we didn't have to drill into the post.


So you see, our house is not a fancy one at the moment, and maybe it never will be.  Some days this is harder for me to roll with than others.  I'm not sure I'd call it all a "beautiful mess" as the saying goes, but it's home to us these days.

~Frantic Mama

Let's Connect!  Comment on the blog, or find me on: FacebookTwitterPinterestGoogle+Stumbleupon, and Instagram

Find even more of me on:  Mamalode and What the Flicka?